Ayurveda Remedies for Post COVID Issues
Covid 19 impacted the entire world like nothing else in the recent past. Studies were conducted on a wide database of affected people which brought to light about the importance of post-COVID care which mostly is about taking care of one’s lifestyle. post-COVID care with Ayurveda has gained much momentum due to the fact that Ayurveda has always been a science of healthy living.
Ayurveda classifies every ailment in the human body according to the types of doshas named Vata, Pitta and Kabha. When an ailment displays the three doshas together, it is termed as Sannipaath. So, as per Ayurveda, Covid can be categorised as a sannipaatha disease. It affects the praanavaaha srotas aka respiratory system i.e., the lungs, the bronchus etc. Along with that it also results in Dhaathu kshaya / extreme fatigue. Another key point to consider is that it not only affects the body but also the mind or Mano vaahak srotas, ie, Psychological Phobia.
Individual treatment plans need to be devised depending on the body response level of each person. Dhaathu poshak / immunomodulators are administered to the patients to help restore the body from fatigue. Rasayana treatment is also planned for the patients who recovered from covid. Even after having recovered from the disease, if the remnants of infections, the symptoms or even difficulties during the disease, in general, remain in the body, it is called Jeerna Jwar in Ayurveda. Covid is a Jeerna Jwar. The importance of post-COVID care with Ayurveda comes from the understanding that covid is a sannipath and that it may retain its heat in the body which needs to be addressed even after getting cured of the disease in order to make a complete recovery.
Upon entering the human body, the covid virus affects multiple organs which makes us vulnerable thereby resulting in a higher mortality rate. Post-Covid symptoms include:
- Chest Pain / Breathing difficulty
- Joint Pain
- Impaired Memory
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Loss of appetite
- Stress Disorder
Immunity is the password that can help us tackle numerous bacteria or viruses that are lingering around us. Before devising the treatment plan to develop immunity, the very first thing is to identify the body type. A person with no prominent difficulties regarding health might be able to do so by taking generalized immunity-boosting medicines. But other patients suffering from post-covid symptoms might need a specialized plan to be followed as well as the medicine to be taken.
- Internal Medicines
A few general medicines that can help boost your immunity
- Aampachak Choorna ( Aids digestion)
- Shadang Paniya (For treating fever)
- Panch Tulsi Drops (Anti-oxidant rich / Helps manage cortisol level)
- Chyawanprash (Helps and strengthen bronchus)
- Dashmool Kwath (Helps subdue swelling)
- Ashwagandha churna (Stress reliever and immunity booster. It is a proven adaptogen)
- Nasya (Cleansing and Nutrition)
2.Cleansing Practices like Panchakarma
In Panchakarma therapy, Snehan / Oleation Therapy is where special herbal decoctions are given internally and medicated warm oil is applied all over the body which helps channelize and collect toxins / aama within the body.
In Swedana Therapy, the aama which gets collected inside the body during the Snehana Therapy gets channelled to places from where it can be easily ejected from the body as sweat / swedana.
With Nasya, medicated drops are introduced to the nasal cavity which helps cleanse the nostrils as well as bring down stress.
3.Exercises like Yoga and Pranayama with Meditation
The level of physical activity is inversely proportional to the cortisol level in one’s body. Yoga helps us keep our body active and healthy while meditation can help deal with stress. Pranayama is an excellent breathing exercise that can help maintain Lung capacity and health at its best.
- Following a healthy routine.
In post-COVID care with Ayurveda, it is equally important for us to maintain a healthy lifestyle, along with the treatment. Managing sleep times and eating habits are as important as receiving treatment during the time of recovery.
Let us summarize a few home remedies that can help cure immune response to COVID with Ayurveda.
- Boil 1 – 2 Litre water for five to ten minutes with 10 -20 leaves of Tulsi along with Jeera / Cumin, coriander, Yashtimadhu and Trikatu, which is made from 3 herbs like black pepper, ginger and long pepper, and drink the water occasionally. The water, being loaded with herbal goodness, helps detoxify the body while providing relief from multiple discomforts.
- Consuming 1 to 2 teaspoon Ghee is known to build tissues and also helps soothe Pitta and Vata Doshas.
- Turmeric Milk is loaded with antioxidants and is known for its antimicrobial and antiviral actions.
- Sitopaladi Churna is good for respiratory health, curbing inflammation and resisting infections. It can be consumed along with honey.
- Boil Shatavari roots in water and have it occasionally. Shatavari is known to improve musculoskeletal strength.
- Try including chickpea soup into your daily meals which can enhance energy.
- Fasting is extremely beneficial to build gastrointestinal immunity and also keeps the digestive fire aflame which in turn prevents any toxins from blocking the channels, thereby aiding improved metabolism.
- Try to add Ayurvedic Tea with Black Pepper, Tulsi, Turmeric and Yashtimadhu / Mulethi along with Jaggery in your daily meals which can help detoxify and at the same time help balance the doshas in your body.
Ayurvedapost covid recovery, attention needs to be given in the diet plan so that it is a Shadrasarmaka aahaar (with six tastes). Plan to have a healthy diet which can include garlic, ginger, tulsi, onion, citrus fruits, tomato, green leafy vegetables, rice, wheat etc. Abstain from having cold, fried, packaged, junk, non-fresh foods along with smoking and Alcohol.
The road to recovery post covid is a long curve as was found from researches, where fatigue, weakness, and respiratory ailments can persist if not addressed properly at the right time. Our team of expert doctors are available for assistance to help cure immune response to COVID with Ayurveda by being your side on the journey to beat the symptoms and help lead a healthy lifestyle.
September 8, 2021
September 2, 2021
August 10, 2021